- Expedia shares the top honeymoon destination ahead of the popular honeymoon season September – October
- 60% of couples took a “minimoon” with plans to take a second honeymoon later in the year when they have more cash
- 97% of honeymoon plans were impacted by the pandemic
- 45% are more likely to take a longer honeymoon than originally planned
- 50% more interested in ticking a bucket list destination off their honeymoon list, with the Maldives and Caribbean topping the list
AUGUST 22, 2022 – New research from leading travel company Expedia® has revealed that lavish honeymoons are on the rise post-pandemic, with two-fifths willing to throw aside their budgets and spend more money on their honeymoon celebrations.
The recent study found that a staggering 97% of honeymoon plans were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, with nearly two-thirds forced to cancel or postpone their post-nuptial trips over the last two years.
After the stress of rescheduling plans over the last two years, many couples are looking forward to enjoying some much-needed downtime during their honeymoons. According to the survey, the most popular itinerary includes lounging in luxury within an all-inclusive resort (45%) and booking romantic activities such as hot air balloon rides or sunset boat cruises (40%).
The top honeymoon travel trends uncovered by the Expedia survey, which polled 2,000 UK couples, include:
- Trip-stretching: 45% of Brits are more likely to take a longer honeymoon than they originally planned to make the most out of the missed travel opportunity during the pandemic.
- Splash the cash: Two fifths (40%) of Brits will throw aside the budgets and spend more money on their honeymoon, with 50% more interested in spending extra money to visit a bucket list destination.
- Trips instead of toasters: 60% are more likely to add a honeymoon fund to their wedding gift list, prompted by the pandemic to prioritise their once-in-a-lifetime trip over traditional registry items.
- The do-over: 35% of UK honeymooners want a ‘do-over’ because their honeymoon plans were impacted by travel restrictions over the last two years.
- Mini moons: 60% of couples took a “minimoon” with plans to take a second honeymoon later in the year.
The Expedia survey also polled UK couples on where they would most like to go on their honeymoon this year, with almost a third (30%) of respondents opting for tropical island trips.
The Maldives pulled the greatest interest (20%) with respondents preferring to honeymoon in arguably one of the most beautiful tropical countries. No doubt a result of the selection of luxury accommodation, crystal clear seas, and long stretches of sandy beaches throughout the luxury island.
USA also came within the top 10 sought-after destinations since the country reopened to international travellers. Honeymooners can now explore the City of Dreams or travel further afield with ease to experience these once-in-a-lifetime locations during their post-wedding celebrations.
The most popular honeymoon destinations uncovered by the Expedia survey are:
- Italy (e.g., Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terra, Rome, Florence, Venice)
- Greece (e.g., Mykonos, Santorini, Athens)
- New Zealand
Expedia makes it easier to save on the things that matter the most when booking through Expedia Rewards. Sign up for an Expedia account to become an Expedia Rewards member and get instant access to savings worth 10% or more on select hotels thanks to our loyalty member prices. Gain immediate access to savings, earn points on eligible bookings, and double your points when booking on the app to use on a future trip.