- New marketing initiative features world champion wind surfer Thomas Traversa
- Campaign’s evocative video promotes CMC Markets’ Alpha membership scheme for traders
Financial services provider CMC Markets has launched a new marketing campaign which enlists World Champion wind surfer Thomas Traversa to highlight the similarities between the mindset of a wind surfer and those of a trader.
The campaign has been launched to promote CMC’s Alpha membership scheme, which provides immediate spread discounts with the platform’s tiered-volume discount scheme, CMC Price+.
The new initiative is built around an atmospheric video titled “The Storm Chaser”, narrated by Traversa, who is a Red Bull Storm Chase Champion and PWA Wave World Champion. It sees him plotting his next outing amid stormy conditions, combining his finely honed instincts from years as an elite wind surfer with advanced weather tracking technology.
The video offers a glimpse into his individual approach to finding the best conditions to surf. The viewer sees him combine analogue calculations in a notebook with satellite imagery to plot when and where a major storm will occur, before driving his van to the shore and setting up camp, awaiting the arrival of the optimum weather conditions for his unique sport.
Windsurfing relies on the conditions more than any other sport, and requires participants to embrace unpredictability and find their flow within it. Traversa has honed his craft by combining planning and logic with a healthy respect for the storm – trading CFDs requires similar discipline, patience and understanding, which sit at the heart of the campaign.
Lightning cracks in the sky as Traversa prepares to embrace the story and hit the waves, with the video showcasing his remarkable talent and resilience in the torrid conditions.
The Find Your Flow campaign page highlights four key points within the video which capture the parallels between Traversa’s method of catching epic waves, and the way that traders should approach financial markets. Quotes from Traversa’s monologue are distilled into four essential elements that should guide traders:
- PREPARATION “I always start from the place I want to go”, highlighting how traders should prepare for their journey across the markets.
- EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE “Somehow all the noise of the wind disappears. When you feel it’s the right moment, just go”, indicating the importance of seeing the signal in the noise, embracing logic, and then proceeding.
- THE MARKET “Nowadays we all want to pretend we control everything. You can never have control over the storm”, which showcases how it is vital to learn from the market, since it is the best teacher, and commands respect.
- FIND YOUR FLOW “It’s not about going against the current. It’s about finding a way to play with it”, which drives home the point that rather than trying to control the chaos, traders should embrace the storm so they can find their flow.
The campaign tagline encourages viewers to “Master Your Craft. Find Your Flow. Become Alpha.” The Alpha membership offers users a range of benefits as well as a complimentary premium subscription to the Financial Times, alongside priority customer service and additional perks.
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. The vast majority of retail client accounts lose money when spread betting and/or trading CFDs. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Marketing for CFDs and spread betting is not intended for US citizens as prohibited under US regulation.